Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Avondale Pizza Cafe - BBQ Chicken Pizza

Eating at Avondale Pizza Cafe (APC) is nothing new for me as I've been going there for years and in the past few years my friend Julie has decided it is her go-to place. In fact we used to come here every Thursday night and most every Sunday night, but recently life has gotten in the way.



Nevertheless for whatever reason I had not tried the BBQ Chicken Pizza which was added to their menu after their semi-recent move from Avondale Village to the shopping center across from Waffle House. Well, i should not kid around, i haven't tried this because i rarely look at the menu and honestly didn't realize it was there because i know what i am going to order 1. the meat lovers pizza 2. the steak and cheese sandwich or 3. a calzone.

But Julie has been cheating on me and going to APC without me and remarked that she like the BBQ chicken pizza. Hum, i thought, maybe next time i will try that.


 This is not their pizza, by the way, just an example.



A couple of weeks later we were finally back to our Thursday night routine and firmly ensconced in our booth at APC. The "what should we order" game started and i actually look at the menu to review the BBQ Chicken Pizza. It didn't look too exciting, but anything is better that Julie's typical choice of pepperoni pizza. She has the palate of a Jr. High Boy, ya see (more on that later).


So Julie, Liz and I decide to go for it and order the pizza. I should have known not to trust Julie's palate but i was here for the fellowship more than the food. Love ya, Julie! :)

Needless to say i was not impressed with the pizza. It was really just some BBQ sauce, covered in onions, sprinkled with flavorless chicken and topped with standard cheese. You say, duh, that is what BBQ chicken pizza is, but... no the California Pizza Kitchen pizza out of the box is better.



To me BBQ Chicken Pizza is good BBQ sauce covered with some nice flavorful home cooked chicken, sprinkled with good mozz cheese, sprinkled with purple onions (they are not red, didn't you learn your colors) and topped with some gorgonzola cheese. There are other variations but, that is mine.

Unfortunately this pizza tasted like bread topped with BBQ sauce and melted cheese. I didn't even eat the leftovers, which is sure sign "me no likey". But on the plus side they do use Cattleman's BBQ sauce, which for all you Jacksonians is what Keifer's uses for their Chicken Yavne (YUM!), but I digress.






Anyway, I'll cross that APC Pizza off my list and remember julie eats like a teenage boy.





I don't want to completely knock APC though. I do like their pretzels, calzones, steak and cheese sandwich and some pizzas (The Primo, the Supremo and Meat Lovers to name a few). Make sure Mike is working, he's the best cook. But i do wish they would ditch the Sysco chicken and cook their own...and put Fat Tire back on draft... and turn the air down a little bit or the heat up (depending on the season)!
They also have the best waitstaff! Shout-outs to Meredith, Mary Beth, Kelly & Annie... and the rest of you I have yet to meet.

PS- don't try their buttery, gooey, hot pretzels made from pizza dough and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese unless you want to fight the cravings for these. They are yum!

Happy Eating!

No comments: