Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Little Red Hen Bakeshop at the Saturday Decatur Farmers Market

One of the best things about the Decatur Farmers Market on a Saturday morning (aside from the fresh produce) is the presence of Little Red Hen Bakeshop. This booth situated at the entrance to the market has coffee, juice and some other beverages that I am not really concerned with, because i am here for the baked goods. They have an assortment of donuts (baked ones, not fried), scones, and other baked delights that vary from week to week

These goodies are situated on cookie sheet like trays with rustic hand written or uptown printed placards identifying your choices. The blueberry scones are literally blue because there are so many fresh berries in them and you can actually see the slices of fresh peaches in the peach scones. These are a far cry from the micro blueberry dots or peach flavoring you get when you order a scone from one of those chain bakeries and makes my decision a tough one.


The blueberry and peach scones look great and I'll have to try them someday soon, but two items immediately catch my eye. First I am drawn to the word Salted CARAMEL which comes in the form of icing on a donut.  Caramel is one of my weakness and i really have a difficult time passing up anything that contains burnt sugar and butter. I mean who does not love the wonderfulness of caramel? It is butter + sugar after all.



But wait, the scones look wonderful too and I need to choose. That's when i notice none other than a pimento cheese scone! Heavens to Betsy and Come on Irene; How am i supposed to chose between two of my favorites, caramel and pimento cheese? (If you've read my previous posts you'll know i have a thing for pimento cheese.)

As the vendor puts both items in my bag he remarks that i have chosen something savory and something sweet. Hum, i think to myself I am not really a sweet person... i mean i don't really like sweets... but I have to try this salted caramel gooey deliciousness and i certainly was not going to pass up a pimento cheese scone. Sometimes making a choice is overrated.

I decide to try the donut first and it is a cake style donut but has the consistency of an slightly dense but airy cupcake. It is not as dense as fried cake donut, but thicker than a cupcake. I am not a lover of cake and really only got this item for the caramel so immediately remove all the cake that is not topped by the caramel and discard it. I do the same thing with cupcakes (tear off the bottom part) and before you get all flustered, and think I am crazy for not eating all the cake just know this is the only food item i can think of where i voluntarily reduce the calorie count. Trust me, I'll make up for it later.



Anyway, now that all that cake is gone I can get down to business.  The salted caramel is good. It's sweet, but not too sweet and is balanced by the hint of salt taste which is there without you really knowing its there. The cake is ok. I appreciate that it is not dense and good as far as cake goes, but it was all about the caramel for me.

Now onto the real gem, the pimento cheese scone. As soon as i take my first bite i swear the heavens parted and birds started signing. I'm sure i let out a "yuuummmm" that those around me could hear and i began to wonder why i even bothered with the sweet at all.



This scone is so light you almost are sure there are no calories and it has just the right cheesy flavor plus a bready-sconey flavor with pieces of real pimentos that not only give it nice color but also flavor. I was only going to eat half of this, but since I really only ate half of my donut, I decide to go all out. I came here after an hour at the gym after all.

As i am walking around the farmers market making no bones about eating my scone i begin to wonder if my workout that morning still counts if i ate a donut and a scone right after finishing it. Oh well, i guess i am better off than i would be if i did not work out at all.

My addiction to LRHB started a few Saturdays ago when i decided i need to eat healthier and went on a mission for veggies. The produce mission was accomplished because I bought so much produce I had to leave, go to the ATM and then come back. But unfortunately the healthy part didn't go so well on account of that bakeshop stand right at the entrance.

Oh well, I am waiting for the folks at LRHB to tell me because they use all natural ingredients and are at a farmers market the donut and scone were actually good for me. I am sure it is going to happen.

Until then, i am craving another scone and think if i get up early, go the gym and then still get to the farmers market by 9:30 AM I deserve a scone, dammit.

So go to the Decatur Farmers Market next Saturday and make sure your first stop is the Little Red Hen Bakeshop. Get your breakfast and walk around enjoying it while you admire all the wonderful produce from local farmers. Even if you don't buy any of that, the scone and the scenery are worth the trip.

I'm already craving my next pimento cheese scone. Get there early, they do sell out, which is very sad for a pimento cheese addict like me.

Note: photo coming soon. that is if i can remember to take one before i devour the thing!

Happy Eating

No comments: