Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Marlay House - St. Bernardus Beer

In the past i have heard a few of my friends mention this St. Bernardus beer that is essentially famous for its 10.5% alcohol content. A few years ago these high gravity beers became legal in GA and beer drinking hasn't been the same since. Ironically the person i had heard the most talk from was my 98lb friend Natalie, who for the record has never divulged her weight to me but suffice it to say is tiny.  This is an important piece of information when you are drinking beers with 10.5% alcohol and ironic because you would never expect her to be downing the most potent beer on the menu.



Nevertheless I had never tried this beer because when i go out "drinking" i am usually in it for the long haul, meaning i want to have more than two beers or know it will be more than a two beer night. I also mistakenly thought that because this beer was dark, it was heavy. Boy was I wrong.

Since Natalie talked up the St. Bernardus it was only fitting i shared my first one with her at The Marlay House in Decatur. A couple of Fridays ago we met for happy hour and when i arrived she and my friend (and realtor) Thomas both had a St. Bernardus sitting on our pub table and were ready to indulge.



Opting to save time and make things easy, I decided it was my time to try the beer. I didn't really know what to expect as the beer looks like a more transparent version of Guinness, which is not at the top of my beer choice list. However, after my first sip I knew i was in trouble. Not only did it taste great, I found you can't always judge a beer by its color. While it is darker than an amber beer and not quite as dark as a stout, it tasted like a medium bodied beer with attitude. I like attitude. My first one went down WAY too easy and I knew drinking  more of these 10.5% alcohol beers was in my future. Plus the monk is really funny looking and makes me smile :) .


At this point, I am not sure why i ever deprived myself  and thought 10.5% was too potent for a beer. I drink red wine all the time that has 13% alcohol, or more. In fact my friend Shannon refuses to buy wine that is less than 13% alcohol and i have recently adopted her policy. So what is the big deal about a beer with 10.5%?

Well, for one i don't really love beer. I like beer but am typically going to order a Jack and Ginger or a big glass of wine before i order a beer. There are a few exceptions to this rule for example 1. if I am at home i am making an Old Charter and coke (or ginger, or sprite) because Old Charter is way better than Jack. Unfortunately GA restaurants just have not caught on to what we Louisiana folks have known for years or 2. If i am at APC (see older post) eating pizza, i'll order a fat tire. or 3. If i am eating crawfish there is nothing like a COLD bud light (aka - yard mowing beer).




Anyway, i digress, so i don't order beer a lot but that all changed with this St. Bernardus. Now i know what all the hype is about and 3 beers (30%) and a salad later I'm telling Thomas all my secrets. Well, not all of them, he couldn't handle that but that's a different story.

I like this beer so much by the middle of the week I am begging my friend Melissa to go eat with me at the Marlay so I can get this beer. I even went so far as to research what other bars/pubs in Decatur have St. Bernardus on tap when Melissa said she was not interested in going to the Marlay that night. I has such a huge craving I almost went myself and attempted to get one "to go". Again, a Louisiana thing that Georgians don't understand.



Finally two weeks later on a Saturday afternoon my craving was fulfilled and my wish was granted when I met Julie and Liz at The Marlay and promptly ordered that delicious St. Bernardus that had me salivating before my goblet of beer arrived. It did not even matter than not 2 hours earlier I had stated that I "did not" want to drink all afternoon. Guess that plan was foiled.

Nevertheless, I should limit myself to two of these gems, but that has proven to be a problem so far. Or maybe i should just eat more when I drink these double alcohol beers since both times i've been more interested in drinking than eating when i consumed these bad boys. Luckily the lack of interest in eating does not happen often.



Where else can i get these suckers on tap? The Brick Store frequently has St. Bernardus on its rotating tap as my other Liz friend used to order it there and also previously raved about this beer. I am sure other bars/pubs do as well but its a pretty rare find the farther you get from the Decatur Square (i.e. none of this stuff at Melton's, Shorty's or your regular ole restaurant).

Now that I have had this beer a few times, you would think my craving would have subsided, but i just can't get enough of it. I'm sure I will tire of it soon, but until then i can't wait until this weekend to mosey into the Brick Store or walk up to the Marlay and order a good ole St. Bernardus.

I guess paying my ridiculous Decatur taxes is worth it if St. Bernardus on tap is within walking distance.

Happy Eating! and Drinking for that matter.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Well, I guess that settles it... you should just get a tapper in your house with a keg of St. Bernardus...