Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Oyamel - Washington D.C.

I ate at this restaurant while on a business trip to D.C. in February. I know I am behind on my postings, but I am trying to play catch up. Oyamel has great atmosphere, food and is fun for a small or large group.
To start we waited at the bar and had great margaritas and chips & salsa.
After a short wait our table was ready and we started on our feast. Apparently they are known for their table side guacamole. I do not care for guac, but my friend ordered some for herself. It was quite a presentation and most people in the restaurant we having it.
The dishes are primarily small plates, which I love because that means I get to try more food.
The stands out were the chilaquiles and a shrimp dish (I can't remember the name and it is not listed on the website). The chilaquiles are handmade tortilla chips covered in a great green sauce and cheeses, all baked to a golden brown. I love anything with cheese, and burnt cheese is one of my all time favorites. While this dish is considered a small plate, it is big and certainly enough for several people to share.
The shrimp dish contained about 6 shrimp which were perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. My friend and I were both full, but I insisted she try them and then she raved about them and finished the plate.
The tacos were OK. One of the tacos I could not finish because the other dishes were just better, I believe it was the chicken (Tinga Poblano). Another taco (the fish) I ordered was OK. They are served in cute little taco carriers that keep them upright so the fillings do not spill.
All in all this was a great restaurant which i would recommend and definitely go back to. And the menu on the website does not include all the dishes served at the restaurant.
Happy Eating.

No comments: