Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pizzeria Paradiso - Washington DC

I hopped on the Metro one weekday for a lunch away from the busy restaurants near our hotel. I had read about this place which researching the trip and hoped it would not disappoint. Typically when away on business I have a few great meals and more that are just OK. With a few meals in a row that were just OK I was hoping for something more.
This restaurant is a few steps away from the Metro, so it seemed like you had to be in the know to find the place. All the diners seemed to be locals that worked in the area. I took a spot at the bar and watched as the cooks prepared the fresh pizzas and salads.

Pizzeria Paradiso is Small restaurant with no more than 15 tables and 2 waitresses at lunch.
I had a panzanella salad and a pizza that was cooked right in front of me in the wood fired oven.
The panzanella had a non-traditional presentation, but was tasty, especially when topped with the perfectly green olive oil on each table and the bar.

The pizza was cooked perfectly, with a traditional thin crust and again was even better topped with the OO. Thank goodness for a great lunch experience that did not include a chain restaurant or one filled with colleagues from my meeting. A little off the beaten path, but worth it.

No comments: